Real Ale

Real Ale

Euxton - Red Lion Inn

Names: The Red Lion Inn aka Anderton Arms

Address: 169, Preston Road, Euxton, Chorley


The Red Lion Inn was a 17th Century coaching inn, which only later carried the arms of the Anderton family who lived in nearby Euxton Hall and was located next to the old police station on the main thoroughfare through the village.  The original building from the 17th century is the section with the gable end fronting the road on the picture above; the building was extended at some later time, probably around the 1860's when it was bought by William Ince Anderton Esq. 




The Anderton c.1910

There is some confusion whether the Red Lion Inn and Anderton Arms were separate premises but this is not the case. Prior to 1871 the Inn was recorded as the Red Lion, situated next door to the school house of the National School.  It was known as the Red Lion Inn until the mid-1860's before charging its name to the Anderton Arms and this is supported by the fact that John Pearson, the listed landlord in 1861 at the Red Lion was then the landlord at the Anderton Arms in 1871.  There are also no other licensed premises recorded on census records on that stretch of main road through Euxton to suggest there were ever two separate buildings.




Listed landlords at the premises were Thomas Ravencroft (1794-), Thomas Grime (1837-1841), John Birchby (1841-51), John Pearson (1858-1871), William Banks (1876-1881), Alice Jane Moon (1891), John Bailey (1901), Susannah Bailey (1911) and Thomas Cornwell (1915-34).


Manchester Mercury 17 December 1794

Preston Chronicle 14 October 1837

1841 Census

Leeds Times 03 July 1841

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 23 June 1849

1851 Census

Preston Chronicle 29 September 1855

Preston Chronicle 02 October 1858

Liverpool Mail 08 September 1860
The above article confirms that the Red Lion Inn, formerly the property of James Longworth Esq. was sold by auction after his death together with rest of the manor of Euxton including the Millwrights' Arms Inn, situated at the Pincock Mill end of the village. 

British History Online

The manor of EUXTON, assessed at two plough-lands, was a member of the barony of Penwortham, and land was early granted out to a number of tenants. The abbey of Evesham had 2 oxgangs of land there. In 1212 it was found that Roger de Lacy had granted the service of the two plough-lands in Euxton to Robert Bussel, together with other lands in Longton and Leyland, the service for the whole being that of the tenth part of a knight's fee. Thirty years later Robert Bussel, no doubt the same person, held it of the fee of the Earl of Lincoln, who held of Earl de Ferrers. Shortly after this, however, Adam de Holland is found to be the most important personage in the place; he is supposed to have married a daughter and co-heir of Bussel. Certain it is that the holding was divided, Longton and Leyland going to the Walton and Farington families, while Euxton remained with the Hollands and their heirs. In 1302 the tenth of a knight's fee was held by John de Farington and others.
Adam de Holland was succeeded by his son Robert, and he by William de Holland, his son. In 1301 the king granted Robert 'de Euxton' (Holland of Euxton) a charter for a market every week on Tuesday, and a fair every year on the feast of St. Barnabas; also for free warren in his demesne lands of Euxton. Here as in many other places Thomas Earl of Lancaster created a mesne manor in favour of Sir Robert de Holland, which was forfeited after the rebellion of 1322. Thus in 1323 it was found that William de Holland had died holding certain lands, &c., in Euxton of Robert de Holland, which were then in the king's hands by reason of the forfeiture; the manor, demesne lands, and watermill were held of the king as of the fee of Penwortham in socage by suit at the six weeks' court at Lancaster and at the three weeks' court of the wapentake, and by a rent of 1lb. of cummin. Other lands were held of the master of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem in England by a rent of 6s. 2d. Robert, his son and heir, was eleven years of age.

Robert de Holland was succeeded by William, probably his brother, but ultimately by Joan the daughter of Robert. She married William de Molyneux (who died in 1358), son of the lord of Sefton, their son Sir William de Molyneux succeeding to Euxton, in which his widow Agnes had dower after his death in 1372. Down to 1729 the manor remained in the Molyneux family, but was then sold, with lands in the township, and disappears from the records for nearly a century. It is stated to have been acquired by James Longworth of Liverpool, whose descendants afterwards sold it to William Ince Anderton of Euxton, in whose family it has remained till the present time (1911).

1861 Census

Preston Chronicle 23 March 1861

Looking North up Preston Road the Anderton Arms can be seen on the right.

Preston Chronicle 04 July 1863
Whilst it appears to have been purchased at the end of 1860 the 1861 census (and indeed some later press cuttings) still refer to the pub as the Red Lion Inn. It is quite interesting that William Anderton chose to rename the pub the Anderton Arms in the mid-1860's, as this coincides with the building of the new St. Mary's RC Church (opened in 1865), subject of much debate between Andertons and the priesthood; from 1865 it was the first public catholic church in Euxton, previous worship having taken place in the Anderton's private chapel at Euxton Hall.  The Red Lion Inn is situated directly opposite the new church and I wonder whether he wished this to serve as a reminder of his importance locally to the clergy in changing the name of the pub at this time.  

Further more detailed history of St Mary's RC Church and the involvement of the Andertons can be found on the following link >>  St Mary's Euxton


Preston Chronicle 28 October 1865

Preston Chronicle 23 December 1865

1871 Census

Preston Chronicle 14 September 1872

Preston Chronicle 18 April 1874


Preston Chronicle 10 January 1874

An Assessment for the Relief of the Poor of the Township of Euxton, Lancashire made 4th October 1880 shows the following: -
Occupant: Banks, William  
Owner: Anderton, William J. 
Property: Public House & Land 
Location: Euxton Village 

This confirms the earlier transfer of the Red Lion to William Ince Anderton Esq. at auction in 1860.  

1881 Census
Anderton Arms c.1890

1891 Census
Rate for Special Expenses Assessment made 13th October 1897 on the Township of Euxton shows: -
Occupant: Bailey, John 
Owner: Anderton, W.A.J. 
Property: Public House Anderton Arms


1901 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 14 September 1903


An Assessment for the Poor Rate for the Township of Euxton made 18th October 1910 shows: -Occupier: Bailey, Susannah
Owner: Anderton Major Public House
Property: Anderton Arms 

1911 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 05 August 1930


Lancashire Evening Post 02 July 1934

Since 1987 it has been used as an Italian restaurant called Papa Luigi's.


Papa Luigi's Restaurant today

No comments:

Post a Comment