Address: Chorley Old Road, Whittle-le-Woods
|The Cross Keys Inn c.1913|
The Cross Keys Inn was first listed as a licensed premises on the 1841 census when Bernard Eccles was behind the bar. Since that time the listed landlords were Ralph Brindle (1851-61), Robert Rigby (1871), Evan Coppuck (1881), John Walmsley (1891), George Almond (1901), James Jackson (1911) and Harry Turner (1931-37).
It is located on Chorley Old Road (previously known as Chorley Road) at its junction with Carwood Lane and more recently has been converted to a private dwelling. It still retains its identity as the Cross Keys through the name plate above the door and the stained glass window on the first floor landing at the rear of the property.
|Rear of the Cross Keys c.2016|
|Stained Glass window at the back of the Cross Keys|
|Chorley Standard and District Advertiser 06 February 1875|
|Preston Chronicle 09 December 1882|
|Preston Chronicle 22 February 1890|
|Lancashire Evening Post 26 August 1931|
|Lancashire Evening Post 20 September 1937|
|Lancashire Evening Post 02 August 1945|