Real Ale

Real Ale

Adlington - Waggon & Horses

Name: The Waggon & Horses

Address: 94, Market Street, Adlington


The Waggon & Horses has been a feature of life on the most southerly edge of Adlington since the early 1800's. It is located in the Water House Bridge area of the village and would have served the community and workers from the nearby Water House Printworks and Smithyfield Blacking Mill during those earlier years.

The first listed landlord of the pub was a Daniel Comberbach as recorded on the 1824 Standish Directory below.




Landlords recorded thereafter were Daniel's wife Margaret Comberbach (1841), John Harrison (1851), Mary Taylor (1859-61), William Outterside (1871), Jane Darbyshire (1881), George & Martha Warburton (1891-1901), Isaac Mather (1911),  William Grimes (1931) and Herbert Higham (1846).


1841 Census

Manchester Times 16 July 1847


Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser 11 November 1848

1851 Census


© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.





Bolton Chronicle 01 January 1859

1861 Census
 


1871 Census




Chorley Standard and District Advertiser 11 September 1880

1881 Census


1891 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 31 August 1892

Blackburn Standard 17 September 1892

1901 Census


1911 Census



Lancashire Evening Post 14 August 1931

Lancashire Evening Post 13 June 1934



Lancashire Evening Post 31 May 1937

Lancashire Evening Post 15 October 1946


No comments:

Post a Comment