Address: 53, Market Street, Chorley
|The Waterloo Tavern on Market Street 1900's|
The Waterloo Tavern was one of Chorley's oldest taverns before it was demolished in the late 1900's to make way for new town centre development, which took the form of the Halifax Building Society. It first appeared in directories as early as 1793 and in the early 1800's was in the hands of the Catterall family, who owned and ran the Leicester Mill Quarries up at Anglezarke near Rivington (now a venue for serious rock climbers). During this time it was also known as "The Ship" on some directory records.
|Preston Chronicle 17 November 1849|
Alice Catterall died in 1849 after being at the Waterloo for at least 25 years but even when Henry Brierley was the landlord in 1861 his wife was Ann Catterall so at what stage the family parted hands with the tavern is not clear.
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 05 September 1829|
In the late 1800's and early 1900's it was owned by Matthew Brown's brewery in Blackburn serving their famous Lion Ales.
|Blackburn Standard 30 October 1875|
|Blackburn Standard 19 December 1896|
James Wilding was running the Waterloo in 1896 having previously been behind the bar at the Brooke's Arms aka White House on Brooke Street. By 1901 his son William Henry Wilding was running the Waterloo.