Address: Preston Road, Whittle-le-Woods
The Bay Horse has been a feature of village life in Whittle-le-Woods since the early 1800's located on Preston Road (previously known as Chorley Road) just up the road from Waterhouse Green and close to St John's church. It was once a farm and later on in the 1800's occcupants ran it as a public house as well, as census records below testify.
Locally it became known as "Rammy's" in the late 1800's/early 1900's when it was run by the Ramsbotham family and the picture above is believed to show members of that family c.1900.
List landlords at the pub were Thomas Hamer (1824), James Dixon (1841), Richard Marsden (1861), Ralph Brindle (1871), Robert Rigby (1881), James Ramsbotham (1882-1901) and Richard Tuson Ramsbotham (1911).
|1824 Directory & Gazeteer|
|Yorkshire Gazette 01 October 1836|
|Preston Chronicle 20 April 1839|
|Preston Chronicle 10 March 1849|
|Preston Chronicle 30 April 1864|
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 23 August 1882|
The above photo shows thew Bay Horse in one its reincarnations as Jack's (at the Bay Horse) around 2013/15.
|Lancashire Evening Post 10 December 1906|
|Lancashire Evening Post 03 April 1908|
|Lancashire Evening Post 09 August 1920|
September 2018 saw the Bay Horse reopen after period of closure as a new Gastro-style pub called Mediterranean 3 at the Bay Horse, the owners already running two other similar style pubs in the area at the Robin Hood, Mawdesley and Red Cat, Whittle-le-Woods.