Address: Blackburn Road, Heapey, Chorley
|The Black Lion looking down Blackburn Road to Wheelton|
The Black Lion is located on Blackburn Road in Heapey a short distance from its neighbour the Red Lion, which can be seen in the photo above at the bottom of the hill in Wheelton. Like many rural beer houses the Black Lion was originally a working farm. The road on which it stands changed names several times over the years from Black Lion Brow to Lower Lane and finally Blackburn Road.
On the map below the dotted line shows the boundary between Wheelton and Heapey, passing through the Red Lion Inn. Other local Inns can be seen in close proximity including the Anchor aka Top Lock (Heapey), Dressers Arms (Wheelton), British Lion (Whittle) and Howard Arms (Whittle Springs).
The earliest recorded landlord of the Black Lion is George Wilson, shown above in the 1825 directory of the Leyland Hundred, which Heapey was part thereof. Local church records confirm that he died in 1836: -
Burial: 17 Dec 1836 St Laurence, Chorley, Lancashire, England
George Wilson - Age: 58
Buried by: J.S. Master Curate
Register: Burials 1832 - 1846, Page 96, Entry 761
Source: LDS Film 93707
Subsequent landlords included his widow Betty Wilson (1836-41), Thomas Waring (1851-1881), Alice Chadwick(1891-1901) and Dorothy Cookson-Thompson (1911-21).
|Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal 06 June 1856|
Marriage at St Lawrence Parish Church, Chorley
Thomas Poole Thompson 26 Bachelor Farm Bailiff Black Lion Hotel Heapey
Emily Jane Hawkins 26 Spinster Weaver 13 Livesey Street
Father William Thompson (deceased) Licenced Victualler
George Hawkins Bricksetter
Witnesses: Fred Poole Thompson, Isabella Howarth
Licence Willoughby C. Allen Rector
|The Black Lion (2013) now a residential property|