Name: The Miners' Arms
Name: 108, Market Street, Chorley
|The Miner's Arms 2015|
George Birtill's article on the pubs of Chorley records the fact that this pub was once called the Bull & Butcher but changed its name to the Miners' as it was owned by a local mining company whose miners provided the regular custom.
The very first recorded entry for this pub was on the 1861 census and at this time it was actually called the Peacock Tavern (see below); records thereafter refer to the Miners' Arms. Listed landlords and tenants were William Cunliffe (1861), George Whalley (1871), John Lyons (1876), John Higgans (1881), Hugh Commons (1891), Richard Holding (1901) and Harold Baxendale (1911).
The tenant on the occasion of the 1871 census was a man called George Whalley who is listed as a builder and contractor employing 32 men and 5 boys; whether or not beer was being sold from the premises is not clear however it certainly was five years later when this article was written: -
|Preston Chronicle 11 November 1876|
|Blackburn Standard 26 August 1893|