Address: 26 (60), Lyons Lane, Chorley
Located on the junction of Lyons Lane and Brooke Street the Victoria Inn was known locally as the Red House. At the opposite end of Brooke Street at its junction with Eaves Lane stood the Brooke's Arms, which was known as the White House; the two names are believed to be related to the Brooke family whose lands they were built upon.
It was demolished to make way for the building of the Clifford Street bypass in the mid-late 1980's. Listed landlords at the Victoria, which was first listed on the 1871 census were Henry Armriding (1871), Michael Durkin (1881-91), Margaret Commons (1901-15), Albert Fishwick (1936) and James Tarpey (1941).
|Lancashire Evening Post 18 July 1906|
|Lancashire Evening Post 21 May 1908|
Living at the Victoria in 1911 were the Commons family and the following few years were ones of hardship after the death of son Edward at Festubert and a court appearance the following year for selling out of hours.
|A group of regulars outside the Red House -|
the window etching confirm this was a Whittle Springs pub
|Lancashire Evening Post 18 July 1939|
|Lancashire Evening Post 01 April 1941|
|Lyons Lane c.1950|