Name: The White Lion (Lion Arms)
Address: 142, Lyons Lane, Chorley
|The White Lion (Lion Inn) 1950's|
The Lion Inn first appeared on records in the 1860's although for the majority of its existence it has been known as the White Lion. Unlike the majority of pubs in Chorley that were Lion Ales houses (Matthew Brown's brewery from 1927), the Lion Inn was a Dutton's brewery house, which was a brewery based in East Lancashire. A history of the brewery below has been taken from the website www.cottontown.org.
In 1799 Dutton's brewery was established by Thomas Dutton and his son William. The land on which it was situated at Salford had been demised by the Vicar of Blackburn in 1797 to Robert Bannister. It is believed that the Duttons leased the land from him. The business was known as Thomas Dutton and Son. In 1802 Bannister he sold some of the land on which the brewery and a dwelling stood to Samuel Hilton. In 1807 George Haworth entered into partnership with the Duttons. Hilton then resold the land to the partners in Duttons. Thomas Dutton died in 1815 and the business was carried on by his son William. When he died intestate in 1827, the business passed to his son Thomas who was a minor at the time. Thus the firm was taken over by trustees. In 1853 John Tattersall who had married Esther, William's daughter, was taken into partnership by Thomas Dutton.
In 1871 Thomas died, leaving his estate to his sisters, Mary Dutton and Betsy Pickop. His share in Thomas Dutton and Son was acquired by John Tattersall, making him the sole owner.In 1872 he took his brother William of Milnthorpe into partnership. The name of the firm was changed to Dutton & Co. William did not take an active part in the management until his brother's death in 1878,when he became sole proprietor. In 1889 control was handed over to William Tattersall's son-in-law George Whiteley. In 1896 William Tattersall died and his daughter, the wife of George Whiteley inherited the business. The business became a limited company three months after William's death.
In the 1920's, small breweries had had their day and Duttons started to acquire other local breweries. In 1928, the Blackburn Brewery Co. Ltd. was purchased. This company had previously taken over Horsfall's Brewery of Brierfield and Crabtree's Brewery of Clitheroe. In 1929 Duttons acquired John Mercer Ltd. of Adlington. In 1936 they took control of Kirkstall Brewery of Leeds. Further takeovers and name changes occurred over the years. In 1938 after a reflotation, the name changed to Dutton's Lancashire and Yorkshire Brewery Corporation Ltd.In 1947 the company purchased the share capital of Jonas Alexander & Sons of Kendal.
In 1963 Dutton opened offices on High Street. Soon after Whitbreads acquired Duttons.1978 saw the last beer brewed by Duttons. Demolition of the brewery followed in 1986.
Listed landlords since the 1860's include Robert Anglezark (1861-71), Ellen Anglezark (1871), James Leach (1872-79), Henry Eastham (1881-), William Pendlebury (1889),William Clayton (1891-1896), John William Clayton (1901-11) and William Morris (1936).
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 17 January 1880|
|Lancashire Evening Post 18 November 1891|
|Blackburn Standard 19 December 1896|
More recently the building has been used as a Mosque and for the Ar Rahmah Academy but currently lies empty.
|The Lion Inn (2015)|