Address: 8, Market Street, Chorley
The Red Lion Hotel was one of Chorley's earliest Inns and was an important coaching inn during the 1800's
The Red Lion was first listed in the 1793 Directory and the landlords were John Smith (1793), William Sansom (1818-61), John Eccles (1871), Mary Eccles (1872-74), William Sharples (1881), John Thompson (1882), T H Tomlinson (1889), William Alston (1891), Joseph Bailey (1901-11), Mr. Wolstencroft (1917), Arthur Blow (1921) and Herbert Greenough (1936).
|Preston Chronicle 24 October 1846|
|Preston Chronicle 05 August 1854|
|Staffordshire Advertiser 08 February 1862|
|The New Town Hall and Red Lion back right c.1880's|
|Plans for the Red Lion|
The Red Lion was a hostelry much used by societies for culture and politics in the 19th century.
|Painting of the Red Lion and Town Hall reproduced from the photo above|
by George Horsfield posted in Facebook Chorley Then & Now 2016
|Lancashire Evening Post 07 May 1917|
The Red Lion is no longer standing today but in its place is another pub, the White Hart (see later). The pictures below shows the top of Market Street how it was before the road was widened and the original Royal Oak demolished c.1937 and how it is today.