Address: Rotherham Top Farm, Preston Road, Whittle-le-Woods
|Rotherham Top Farm - Oddfellows' Arms|
Rotherham Top is an area of Whittle-le-Woods whose name seems to have all but disappeared now but was certainly a marker for the boundaries of the parish of Whittle-le-Woods as the excerpt from the history of Lancashire in 1911 below confirms.
Known as "Wythull" (1242) and "Whythill (or Whithull) in the Wode" (1304).
The northern half of this hilly township is traversed by the Lostock, here flowing from east to west and then north. In the angle thus formed lies the village, with the hamlet of Rip Row to the north. The ground here rises to over 400 ft. above sea level. The larger part of Whittle south of the Lostock has Shaw Hill on the western side, the ground rising to 360 ft., and other hills on the eastern side, attaining 460 ft. at the boundary of Chorley. The area is 1,355 acres, and in 1901 the population was 2,333.
The principal road is that from Chorley to Preston, which goes north, by Rotherham Top and Waterhouse Green, through the village. From this point other roads branch off to Heapey in the east, Brindle in the north-east, and Leyland in the west. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal winds through the eastern part of the township, a part or branch of it (the Lancaster Canal) going north-west through Rip Row.
British History Online
|Rotherham Top Census for 1841|
Listed landlords were Richard Spiby (1851), William Hall (1861) and Thomas Webster (1871).
The following records show the residents of Rotherham Top from 1891 onwards.