Address: Waterhouse Green, Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley
The Roebuck first appears on historical records on the 1824 Directory of Leyland when Thomas Grimshaw was behind the bar. It is located at the bottom of Shaw Brow in the centre of Waterhouse Green.
Subsequent listed landlords at the Inn were John Porter (1841), Mr Brooks (1845), Matthias Kerfoot (1850-61), Elizabeth Kerfoot (1871), John Kerfoot (1881-1901), and William Derbyshire (1911).
|Preston Chronicle 17 May 1845|
Local Baptismal records show that by the end of 1980 the Roebuck was in the hands of the Kerfoot family with whom it was to remain until the 20th century.
22 Dec 1850 St John the Evangelist, Whittle-le-Woods, Lancashire, England
Esther Kerfoot - Daughter of Mathias Kerfoot & Elizabeth
Baptised by: Thos. Rowlandson Minister
Register: Baptisms 1848 - 1858 from the Bishop's Transcripts, Page 130, Entry 1037
Source: LDS Film 1469070
|Looking from Town Lane towards Shaw Brow -|
the Roebuck is far right of picture
|Lancashire Evening Post 16 September 1930|