Name: The Rose and Crown aka Thatched House Tavern
Address: 15, Saint Thomas's Road, Chorley
The Rose & Crown first appeared in Chorley Directory records in 1811 and since that time has been known as either the Thatched House Tavern or the Rose & Crown. The earliest record showed the Innkeeper to be a Lawrence Jackson but by 1835 and for the next few decades it was run by Richard Wilson, a Whittle-le-Woods man and his wife Nancy who hailed from Anderton. Richard remained at the Rose & Crown until the late 1870s when it was briefly in the hands of an Elizabeth Hartley before Thomas Rigby from Wheelton took over.
|1835 Poll Book and Electoral Register Excerpt for Chorley|
Thomas was a grocer’s assistant and licensed victualler but had moved on by the 1891 census when another lady was in charge, Alice Walker. Alice was a widower, a Chorley lass and 65 years of age at the time of the census; 20 years previously she was running the Gillibrand Arms at 20, Market Street with husband William. In 1896 Samuel Heath was the licensee having previously run the Robin Hood on Clifford Street but he had moved on by 1901 and was running the Clarence Hotel in the town centre.
|Preston Chronicle 20 February 1847|
|1988 from Alan Winfield http://neverendingpubcrawl.blogspot.co.uk/|
|Blackburn Standard 19 December 1896|
|Lancashire Evening Post 17 May 1900|
|Lancashire Evening Post 08 March 1901|