Address: 49, Brooke Street, Chorley
The Queen's Arms once stood on the corner of Brooke Street and Towneley Street opposite the junction with Eldon Street and the Royal Albert pub but has lost since been demolished and the site redeveloped. Listed landlords at the Inn were William Welch (1865-82), J Cook (1889), Alfred Simm (1891), William Schofield (1896-1901), Ann Houghton Duckworth (1909), James Henry Moore (1911) and Henry Illingworth (1936).
|Blackburn Standard 02 September 1876|
The above newspaper article related to Holden's Stomach Mixture, which appears to have worked wonders for the Welsh family...one wonders what the cause of the stomach ailments was!
|Blackburn Standard 19 December 1896|
The life of a publican was not always easy as shown by the regular turnover of licensees and often second incomes required to support a family. The below excerpt from the Edinburgh Gazette on 9th March 1909 shows the listed bankruptcy of on one licensee Ann Duckworth Houghton: -
By the 1911 census Ann and Aaron were still living in Chorley but had moved to Farrow Road and John was working in the coal mines as a Hewer; changing occupations was a necessary way of life, then and now.