Real Ale

Real Ale

King's Arms

Name: The King’s Arms

Address: 45, Bolton Street, Chorley



The King's Arms is one of Chorley's oldest Inns having first been listed in the 1793 directory and whilst no longer trading as such the building still stands and has been used as both a car showroom and currently as the Living Waters church as shown above.

Listed landlords were James Ashurst (1793), Thomas Scowcroft (1818), M Scowcroft (1822), Robert Houghton (1824-27), Charles Shaw (1835-41), Waterhouse Davenport (1849-1853), George Sumner (1861), Harriet Sumner (1865), William Brindle (1871-79), Joseph Greenwood (1882-89), George Tootell (1891), Joseph Ainscough (1901), James Edwin Finney (1911) and Thomas Carey (1914-1936).

Lancaster Gazette 24 November 1827

1841 Census

Preston Chronicle 17 March 1849

Preston Chronicle 10 November 1849

1851 Census

1861 Census

1871 Census


1881 Census

1891 Census

1901 Census

1911 Census

The King's Arms was an Oldfield Brewery house in the early 1900's as evidenced by the below advert from 1914 showing Thomas Carey as the landlord (bottom).


No comments:

Post a Comment