Real Ale

Real Ale

Spinner's Arms (Harpers Lane)

Name: The Spinner's Arms

Address: 9, Harpers Lane, Chorley



The Spinner's Arms no longer stands today but was located at the bottom of Harper's Lane, below the railway bridge where the car park for Aldi now is. It closed in 1980 and was demolished thereafter to make way for redevelopment.

Listed landlords were John Morrison (1861), James Rutter (1871), Edward Exton (1881),  W R Dawson (1882), John Thomas Holt (1891), Thomas Appleton (1901), Joseph Mullineaux (1911), Thomas Schofield (1920), Margaret E Atkinson (1936) and Margaret & Jim Wiggins (-1975).  The building dated back before 1881 and was a grocer's shop in 1871 run by a James Rutter and a cotton weaver, John Morrison's home in 1861. 


1861 Census


1871 Census

Marriage: 8 Jan 1881 St Peter, Chorley, Lancashire, England
Thomas Blackledge - 20 Joiner Bachelor of 85 Bolton St. Chorley
Isabella Exton - 22 Weaver Spinster of 9 Harpers Lane
Groom's Father: Joseph Blackledge, Joiner
Bride's Father: Edward Exton, Publican
Witness: Thomas Ince; Mary Jane Exton
Married by Licence by: Thomas Lund, Vicar
Register: Marriages 1852 - 1893, Page 175, Entry 350
Source: LDS Film 1517687


1881 Census

1891 Census

The Spinner's Arms left of picture with windows steeled prior to demolition

1901 Census

1911 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 13 October 1920

No comments:

Post a Comment