Real Ale

Real Ale

Wheelton - Golden Lion

Name: The Golden Lion

Address: Blackburn Road, Higher Wheelton, Chorley



The Golden Lion dates back to the early 1800's, possibly earlier and is located on the main Chorley to Blackburn road.  

Listed licensees were Richard Marsden (1841), James Anderton (1846), Mary Anderton (1851), William Harrison (1861-71), Joseph Fowler (1881), Oliver Fowler (1891), James Baron (1901), Edith Walmley (1903), David Hindle (1911) and Mr & Mrs Strange (1945).   

The below marriage record confirms that Richard and Margaret Mardsen, the earliest recorded tenants at the Golden Lion were locals.

Marriage: 21 Sep 1836 St Andrew, Leyland, Lancashire, England
Richard Marsden - Bachelor, Wheelton in this parish
Margaret Carr - (X), Spinster, Wheelton in this parish
Witness: Edward Kellett; Margaret Hodkinson, (X); Gorge Marsden
Married by Licence by: Gardner Baldwin Vicar


1841 Census

Preston Chronicle 14 November 1846


1851 Census


1861 Census

Preston Chronicle 01 October 1864


1871 Census

Golden Lion (centre) and the Withy Trees (right)

Preston Chronicle 08 March 1873

1881 Census

1891 Census

1901 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 03 April 1903

1911 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 26 September 1945

Lancashire Evening Post 05 October 1945


February 2018 Chorley Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment