Real Ale

Real Ale

Commercial Hotel

Name: The Commercial Hotel

Address: 5, Fazackerley Street, Chorley


The Commercial on Fazackerley Street was a busy town centre hotel situated just off the Market Square next door to the Chorley Cooperative Society.  As the picture above shows, Fazackerley Street was once a busy thoroughfare open to vehicles.  The picture above shows the view from Market Street towards Cleveland Street and you can see the Fazackerley Arms Hotel in the background facing the market.

It is listed on directories and census records from 1841 through to 1936 but was open long after that.  Landlords listed included Nathan Birchall (1841), Thomas Jump (1851-61), Swithin Dickinson (1871-76), Thomas Woodcock (1879), Richard Nelson (1881-89), Patrick Dorrian (1889-91), George H Leatherbarrow (1901), Elizabeth Alice  Leatherbarrow (1911) and James Branston (1936).

1841 Census



1851 Census



1861 Census

1871 Census

Commercial Hotel, Fazackerley Street - 28th December 1871

Mary Ann Shaw was charged with stealing three bottles of wine, a satchel and other articles worth £1.3s, the property of Mr Swithin Dickinson. Shaw was in the service of Mr Dickinson as a general servant but was given notice to quit due to other misdemeanours. She begged to be allowed to stay on and remained until the weekend when she was found to be drunk and disorderly and told to leave, the articles in question were found in her possession when leaving. The police were called and she was taken into custody. The prisoner pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three months imprisonment.

1881 Census

Marston's Commercial Hotel seen on the far right

1891 Census

Fazackerley Street in the 1950's

1901 Census
The Commercial Hotel in the 1960's

1911 Census



Lancashire Evening Post 17 November 1921

The original building was demolished along with the adjoining premises leading towards Market Square but has since been redeveloped and on the same site there was a pub called Fifteen.  


Number Fifteen has since closed and in its place came a cafe called Deja Vu.


That also closed and it reopened as Havana bar and restaurant and then more recently in 2016 it had another facelift and became Georgie Mac's, a Bar/Diner with tribute acts on every weekend...well, for three months before it suddenly closed again. 



2017 saw the opening of another reincarnation, the Lost Bar and Club.


No comments:

Post a Comment