Address: Chorley Road, Adlington
The Cardwell Arms has been in existence since the late 1850's and was originally the home of the Tyrer family. A detailed history of its early beginnings can be found on the following link to the Adlington and District History blog: -
The press article below shows that in 1859 Richard Tyrer was already at the Cardwell in Higher Adlington running it as a beer house and applying for a new licence.
Listed landlords of the pub were Richard Tyrer (1858-60), Ellen Tyrer (1860-76), Charles Mitchell (1876-1911) and Janice & Lee Ashworth (2017).
|Chorley Standard and District Advertiser 27 May 1876|
After nearly 20 years at the Cardwell Arms Ellen Tyrer sold the pub by auction and shortly afterwards Charles Mitchell began what was to be a lengthy period as landlord totally in excess of 30 years at the Cardwell.
|Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 25 November 1895|
|Lancashire Evening Post 08 March 1899|
|Lancashire Evening Post 11 October 1910|
|Lancashire Evening Post 28 November 1917|
|Lancashire Evening Post 16 June 1919|