Address: Charnock Green, Preston Road, Charnock Richard
The Bowling Green Inn is 500 years old and is located in the area that was formerly the centre of village life, Charnock Green.The Inn was originally a Coaching Inn and there was also a Blacksmith's outside where people used to change horses. It is half way between Preston and Wigan and one of the oldest Inns in Lancashire.
Listed landlords were John Rosbotham (1841-51), Henry Hayes (1861), Daniel Bolton (1864), Catherine Bannister (1866), Robert Cookson (1871), Frederick Busoby (1881), John Winstanley (1891-1901), John Craven (1906-09) and Elizabeth Hannah Craven (1909-11).
|Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser 26 April 1845|
|Preston Chronicle 03 September 1859|
|Preston Chronicle 03 October 1863|
|Preston Chronicle 08 October 1864|
|Preston Chronicle 02 December 1865|
|Preston Chronicle 12 May 1866|
The Hindley Brewery was based in nearby Wigan and Robert Richardson was a beer seller from Preston who was presumably employed by the brewery around this time. By 1871 he was running his own pub, the Plough Inn on Friargate in the middle of Preston. What happened to the brewery remains a mystery but the article below records its sale in 1855, when it had been based at the Red Lion Inn in Hindley and the article below confirms that it continued as a business at least into the latter half of the 1860's.
The 1871 Census shows a William Baxendale as the Inn Keeper and Licensed Victualler at the Red Lion and Hindley's Town Directory of 1925 records Richard Parkinson a Victualler living at the Red Lion Inn so brewing beer continued well into the 20th century at those premises.
|Bolton Chronicle 13 January 1855 Hindley Brewery Sale|
|Liverpool Mercury 25 October 1866 Beer for Sale|
Now back to the Bowling Green Inn...
|Preston Chronicle 28 July 1866|
|Interior of the Bowling Green c.1950's|
|Postcard of the Bowling Green Inn|
|Bowling Green Inn as it is today|