Real Ale

Real Ale

Victoria Arms Hotel

Name: The Victoria Arms Hotel

Address: 31, Chapel Street, Chorley (also listed as 13 New Market Street)



The Victoria Arms was located in the centre of town on the corner of Chapel Street and New Market Street. It is pictured here in the 1950's when Chapel Street was still a thoroughfare for vehicles, but it was demolished in the 1980's around the time the Market Walk shopping precinct was developed.


Known locally as "The Horsebox", the listed landlord at the Victoria Arms were William Moorcroft (1851), John Gent (1861-71), Thomas Clarkson (1879), William Schofield (1881), Edward Gillett (1891), John Taylor (1901), James Harrison (1911) and John Atherton (1936-37).

1851 Census

1861 Census

The Victoria Arms seen looking down Chapel Street past the Crown Hotel c.1950's

1871 Census

Preston Chronicle 06 September 1879

1881 Census

1891 Census

Victoria Arms c.1900

1901 Census

1911 Census

1937

Chapel Street c.1950's

No comments:

Post a Comment