Real Ale

Real Ale

Bay Horse Inn

Name: The Bay Horse Inn

Address: 66, Parker Street, Chorley


The Bay Horse (the original St. Lawrence's Primary school is pictured to the left)

The first record of the Bay Horse on Parker Street was in 1865 where Thomas Hudson from Ellesmere (Shropshire) was the landlord.  Six years later Thomas is seen living at the bay Horse with wife Margaret, their son Joseph and step-son George Day.


Marriage: 15 Jul 1868 St Laurence, Chorley, Lancashire, England
Thomas Hudson - 42 Publican Widower of Chorley
Margaret Day - (X), 42 Widow of Leyland
Groom's Parents: Joseph Hudson, Bricklayer
Bride's Parents: James Sandiford, Painter
Witness: James Wilding; Elizabeth Wilding, (X)
Married by License by: Alfred Schofield Curate
Register: Marriages 1853 - 1879, Page 138, Entry 276
Source: LDS Film 1517687

1871 Census

In the late 1870s the pub changed hands briefly when William Baxendale was landlord but by 1881 the license had been taken over by a Peter Hilton from Whittle-le-Woods.

1881 Census

1885 saw another change behind the bar with the arrival of Albert Jolly.

Preston Chronicle 26 September 1885

By the late 1880's a George H Wilding had taken over and the 1891 census shows him living at the Bay Horse with his wife and two young children.

1891 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 23 January 1895

Following George Wilding were Ambrose Donovan (1895), Thomas Yardley (1901), Hugh Riding (1911), Edward Deaves (1934) and Thomas Gorton (1936).



1901 Census

1911 Census

The landlord Wallace Edward Deaves had a torrid couple of years prior to giving up the Bay Horse when first his daughter was injured in a road traffic accident in 1934 and then he was prosecuted the following year for serving after time! He died eight years later whilst an inpatient at the Chestnuts Sanatorium at Ribbleton.

Lancashire Evening Post 11th April 1934
 
 
Lancashire Evening Post 29 January 1935 

Bay Horse (right) looking up Parker Street to Commercial Road

The Bay Horse Inn is no longer standing having been demolished along with the row of houses adjoining it down Parker Street as can be seen from the photo below.



No comments:

Post a Comment