Address: 20, Market Street, Chorley
|Gillibrand Family Crest dated 1843|
The Gillibrand Arms was on the corner of Market Street and St. Thomas's Road but during the 1870's was demolished to make way for the new Town Hall, which was erected in 1879. Census records for the Inn exist up to and including the one taken in 1871 as shown below: -
|Preston Chronicle 23 May 1835|
William Ward's wife Mary died in 1833 but the above marriage announcement in the Preston Chronicle above shows how he remarried only two years later to Mrs Sanson, the landlady of the Inn next-door, the Red Lion Hotel, which was in the hands of the Sanson family from the early 1800's until the 1860's. Throughout the 1800's the Gillibrand Arms was utilised as Auction House, Court and Public House.
|Blackburn Standard 24 July 1839|
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 02 May 1846|
|Preston Chronicle 23 July 1862|