Name: The Fazackerley Arms Hotel
Address: 13, Market Place, Chorley
|Fazackerley Arms (1950s)|
LEAD SPOUT-HEAD RESCUED FROM THE FAZACKERLEY ARMS HOTEL
DURING DEMOLITION IN JANUARY 1994
This spout-head is a fine example of the lead-beater’s art, often adopted as ornamentation for rainwater drainage components in the past. This particular item is a piece of Chorley’s heritage, the date is 1829 marking an important period in the early stages of development of the town centre as a modern market town.
Prior to 1826 the market had been held in the main street, hence the name, Market street”, but in that year, Thomas Gillibrand, of Gillibrand Hall, Lord of the Manor of Chorley provided the present Market Place, which subsequently came under the control of the town council.
In 1829 the Fazackerley Arms was amongst the first buildings to be erected on the east side of the new Market Place, forming the first stage of the development of Livesey Street and Hill Street, the same area levelled for the town centre re-development 165 years later in 1994.
The son and heir of the aforementioned Thomas Gillibrand, Henry Hawarden had assumed the surname of Fazackerley on succeeding to the estates of his kinsman, Colonel Fazackerley in 1815 and both the street of that name and the Fazackerley Arms Hotel were named after him.
An appropriate companion exhibit is the “keystone” taken from the arch erected by the same Henry Hawarden Fazackerley at the entrance to Gillibrand Hall estate in 1843 (note the “Arms” of the Fazackerley” family – Two Swords in Saltire).
The arch was taken down in 1923 and re-erected at the entrance to Astley park, but with a new plain keystone and an inscription, “Pro Patria 1914-1918”, when the park became the town’s memorial to those who gave their lives for their country in the Great War.
K Hodkinson 1994
The Fazackerley Arms was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for Market Walk, a new shopping precinct leading off Market Square.
|Preston Chronicle 29 January 1842|
|Market Day c.1900|
|Preston Chronicle 21 October 1848|
|Preston Chronicle 03 March 1855|
|Rear of the Fazackerley Arms|
|Preston Chronicle 07 April 1866|
|Blackburn Standard 21 April 1869|
|Lancaster Gazette 02 October 1880|
|Market Day c.1900|
|Blackburn Standard 19 December 1896|
Marriage: 24 Sep 1902 St Laurence, Chorley, Lancashire, England
John Hebden - 21 Tailor Bachelor of Fazackerly Arms Newmarket St
Kate Ellen Wilding - 19 Weaver Spinster of 3 Waterloo St
Groom's Father: Robert Hebden, Publican
Witness: Thomas Edward Wilding; Mary Elizabeth Wilding
Married by Banns by: Reginald Stowell Curate
Notes: [ The words Tailor and Wea entered in Condition column, then crossed out and
initialled R.S. ]
Register: Marriages 1880 - 1904, Page 231, Entry 461
Source: LDS Film 1517687
Report in Chorley Guardian 19 July 1990
Pub dates from late 1820s. Have had ghostly happenings for years..
Pool team member Trevor Jones had gone to the cellar to put his cue away when he suddenly dashed back shaking & white saying there was a woman standing at the bottom of the steps. He hadn’t seen her face just a long black & red dress with lace round the bottom.
The account tied in with a previous sighting over a year ago & the description tied in.
Others have heard footsteps along the corridor to the Gents when there was no-one else in the pub & Ann Tyson who worked behind the bar reported seeing a strange mist in the back rooms.
One of the customers felt an unseen hand on her shoulder while standing in a particular spot at the bar, but when she turned round there was no-one there – it gave her an icy tingling feeling. Les Mitchell the licensee at the time had never seen the ghost, but recall a strange happenings. A fruit machine weighing approx 2cwt regularly changes position overnight moving halfway across the room!!
|Lancashire Evening Post 07 February 1924|
The two photos below show the location of the hotel before and after the Market Walk development.
|Fazackerley Arms (right) and the Prince of Wales|
|Market Walk and the Prince of Wales (far left)|