Address: 96 Market Street, Chorley
|The Wellington c.1950's (boarded up)|
The Wellington Inn, or Duke of Wellington to it its full name was a beer house located on the corner of Gillibrand Street at its junction with Market Street.
Listed landlords were John Derbyshire (1851-61), Robert Clayton (1871), James Leaver (1881) and Edward Alston (1891-1928). In 1851 the census record below show John Derbyshire as a "Retailer of Beer Duke of Wellington" whereas in 1861 he was shown as a "Coal Miner Duke of Wellington". Robert Clayton on the other hand had diversified by the time he was the landlord in 1871, shown as a "Beer Seller and Ginger Ale maker (Beer House)".
|The Wellington right of picture|
|Lancashire Evening Post 06 September 1901|
|Lancashire Evening Post 08 July 1919|
Miriam's son was John William TOWERS aka ALSTON b.1891 who was a driver in the Army Service Corps 1st Coy., 37th Div. Train and died in WW1 on 03/12/1918. He is commemorated on the Chorley War Memorial.
|Gillibrand Street junction Market Street c.2015|