Address: Fisher House, Rivington Lane, Rivington
Whilst not an Inn or Tavern Fisher House was indeed a meeting place dating back to the late 1700's. Some history of the property is recorded below in the excerpt from an article on the Rivington Chapel History. The full article can be seen via this link>>
The Incumbent of the Anglican Church across the road was the Rev. John Fisher, B.A. He had licence to serve the cure of Rivington from 30th October 1763, at the "nomination of the Inhabitants of the Chapelry of Rivington” he continued to serve the cure until his death in 1813. At the Diocesan Registry at Chester several full sets of replies to Visitations of the Parish. In 1778 he returns the answers that there are 68 families in Rivington Parish, one Family of Note (the Andrews of Rivington Hall), no papists, 27 families of Presbyterians, no Independents, no Anabaptists, one Quaker, four families of Methodists, and no Moravians. " There is one Presbyterian who is a Gentleman," There is one Meeting House which is not licensed.
Fisher House has always been one of the most prominent and important buildings in Rivington although it is set well back from the road and not seen by many who pass through the village. It is referred to in the article below.
THE CROMPTONS AT RIVINGTON HALL
Posted by Dave Fletcher - Wed 7th May 2014