Address: Johnson's Hillock, Whittle-le-Woods
The Navigation Inn closed many years ago and is now a private residence but its history dates back to the early 1800's when it stood alongside the Lancaster canal leading into Whittle-le-Woods, a short distance away from Johnson's Hillock.
The first barges came through Whittle in 1803 and soon after that businesses started to spring up around the canal. The canal was eventually filled in and what remains of this section ends on the other side of the road from the Navigation.
|Whittle Springs - the spur to the left is the Lancaster Canal opened in 1803|
and the Navigation is about a third of a mile along.
List landlords of the Navigation were Robert Moss (1841-1851), James Waring (1861), Mary Charnock (1871), William Livesey (1881-91), John Livesey (1896), James Jackson (1901) and John Francis Moats (1911).
|Preston Chronicle 06 December 1856|
|Preston Chronicle 09 April 1864|
|Lancashire Evening Post 17 January 1896|
|Lancashire Evening Post 14 April 1896|
|Lancashire Evening Post 05 January 1901|
|Lancashire Evening Post 24 October 1910|
|Lancashire Evening Post 02 March 1920|