Address: Kenyon Lane, Heapey
The Anchor was built alongside the Leeds to Liverpool canal in the early part of the 19th century, the section of canal and Johnson's Hillock being constructed around 1816. Early census records for the area covering the 1840s to 1860s do not list the property as an Inn so it may have originally being built as a residence for canal workers and later converted.
Geographically it sits on the borders of Brindle, Wheelton, and Whirtle-le-Woods but is actually in the Heapey district as the map below shows.
Earliest reference to the pub is in 1866 when the license was renewed by landlord Richard Marsden.
|Preston Chronicle 27 October 1866|
The name Anchor Inn was kept well into the 20th century but these days it is a well known destination for canal boat owners, walkers and real ale drinkers from miles around and is called the Top Lock.
Listed landlords at the Anchor were Richard Marsden (1866-1883), Margaret Marsden (1883-91), James Briers (1901), James Grundy (1901) and Robert Alexander (1911).
The Anchor can be seen picture top left on the above photo. The canal side cottages backing onto the canal are still there but the building at right angles to these directly opposite the pub has long since been demolished and this area is now the car park for the Top Lock.
|Preston Chronicle 01 April 1882|
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 06 February 1892|
|Lancashire Evening Post 19 February 1892|
|Lancashire Evening Post 14 February 1900|
|Lancashire Evening Post 31 December 1901|
|Lancashire Evening Post 16 August 1907|