Address: Station Road (formerly Cannaleach), Croston
The Plough was opened in the early 1800's between 1824 and 1841 although the exact date is not known and was located on a road called "Cannaleach" which subsequently was renamed "Station Road" in the 1880's. Pictured above it is now a private residence.
Listed landlords of the Plough Inn were George Eastham (1838-1900), Peter Talbot (1901) and John Yates (1911). Having served as landlord of the Plough for 62 years George Eastham was possibly one of the longest serving landlords of any pub in the country.
|Preston Chronicle 16 July 1881|
|Lancashire Evening Post 08 February 1899|
|Lancashire Evening Post 15 March 1900|
|Lancashire Evening Post 31 July 1905|
Isaac Lawrence and Sons was based on Lord Street (later on Bond Street) in Leigh and was known as the Crown Brewery.
The Eastham family who ran the Plough for many years had been resident in Croston since the 17th century or even earlier and after the death of George around 1903 his family remained in the village. His grandson Charles Richard Eastham is worthy of note. In 1906 school records showed he attended Ulnes Walton Primary school.
Charles later signed up to fight for his country in World War 1; on 15th July 1918 he sadly lost his life. His service record is shown below: -
Service number 200852
Regiment King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
Battalion 1/4th Battalion.
Birth place Croston, Lancs
Enlistment place PRESTON
Death year 1918
Death day 15
Death month 7
Cause of death Died of wounds
Death place France & Flanders
Theatre of war Western European Theatre
Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards