Real Ale

Real Ale

Harper's Hotel

Name: The Harpers Hotel

Address: 23, Harpers Lane, Chorley


The Harper's Arms Hotel c.1900
The Harpers Hotel is located alongside the bride over the railway line and was originally called the Bridge Inn from the 1860s through to about 1900.  The census records from 1901 onwards confirm its name (and probably ownership) had then been changed to the Harpers Hotel.  

Listed licensees were Jonathan Barrow (1865), Thomas Sefton (1871-82), William Bretherton (1889), Mary Bretherton (1891-1901), Nancy Bretherton (1904), Sarah Ann Bretherton (1911-21), James Steward (1936) and Billy Herbert (1949-76).


Preston Herald 10 June 1865



Preston Herald 02 September 1865

1871 Census


1881 Census


1891 Census


1901 Census

Northern Daily Telegraph 09 February 1904


Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 06 June 1906

The Bretherton Family c.1890


1911 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 18 October 1921

Billy Herbert, landlord of the Harpers Hotel from 1949 to 1976

The Harpers 1990s
Whilst no longer a hotel, the original Harpers Arms building remains and is currently being used as a retail premises for party accessories.

The Harpers (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment