Address: Town Lane, Croston
The Grapes first appears on the 1824 Gazeteer of Croston when a Thomas Tuson was the landlord: -
Listed landlords at the Grapes were Thomas Tuson (1824-1851), William Howard (1854-55), William Ashcroft (1858-1871), Thomas Dawber (1880-81), William Jones (1891-1901) and John Septimus Bradshaw (1911).
|Preston Chronicle 15 July 1837|
The Grapes Hotel was built in the late 18th century and is a Grade II listed building described as follows: -
The public house was extended in the 19th century. It is in rendered brick with stone dressings and has roofs partly in slate and partly tiled. The building has two storeys, and the 19th-century part faces the road with a symmetrical three-bay front including a central doorway and sash windows. Behind is a long 18th-century wing in three bays, with windows of varying types.
|Preston Chronicle 12 February 1842|
|Preston Chronicle 29 July 1854|
|Preston Chronicle 15 September 1855|
|Preston Chronicle 03 July 1858|
|Liverpool Mercury 14 August 1868|
|Preston Chronicle 30 December 1871|
Landlord William Ashcroft was clearly a member of the Hesketh Lodge of Freemasons as was Mr Cottom, landlord of the Lord Nelson.
|Preston Chronicle 24 January 1874|
|Preston Chronicle 11 December 1875|
|Lincolnshire Chronicle 15 March 1878|
|Preston Chronicle 27 March 1880|
|Late 1800's Photo of the Grapes (right) and Horseshoe Inn (left)|
|Lancashire Evening Post 13 April 1903|
|Lancashire Evening Post 22 October 1935|
|Lancashire Evening Post 06 June 1945|
|Chorley Guardian 22nd November 2016|
Further information on the history of the Grapes can be found on their website