Real Ale

Real Ale

Roebuck Hotel

Name: The Roebuck Hotel

Address: 2, Knowley Wharf, Botany Bay, Chorley

The Roebuck Hotel c.1950

Located on the Bridge over the Leeds-Liverpool canal at Botany Bay the Roebuck Hotel was a part of the community from the early 1800's first appearing on directory records around 1824. Like it's neighbour the Bridge Inn on the other side of the bridge the Roebuck was demolished to make way for the M61 in the mid-1960's.

The Roebuck c.1900 alongside the Leeds-Liverpool canal

Listed landlords were John Marsh (1824), John Wilson (1835-39), John Tootell (1851), William Pimley (1851), William Clayton (1861-65), James Pilkington (1871), Jane Pilkington (1872-82), J R Brindle (1889), Robert Brindle (1891), William Hodkinson (1901), Richard Tattersall (1911) and Robert Haworth (1936).

1851 Census

Looking down Blackburn Brow towards the Canal - The Roebuck is pictured far right.

1861 Census


1871 Census

1881 Census

1891 Census
c.1934 The Roebuck is picture on the right with the Railway (Lock & Quay) far left
as bridge works were taking place.

1901 Census

1911 Census

No comments:

Post a Comment