Address: 113, Market Street, Chorley
The Joiner's Arms is one of the oldest remaining pubs in town although the current building may not be the original as directory records confirm that it was around in 1793; not surprisingly the landlord at that time, Thomas Green is shown as an Innkeeper, Joiner and Cabinet Maker. From 1797 the Joiner's was listed as one of the Lodges of the Freemasons and like many of the town's pubs was a popular meeting place.
It retained its name certainly until 1964 according to directory records but probably long after that. It is still open for business today under its current name, Last Orders at the Lamplighter. Prior to this it has had other names including The Entertainer.
Listed landlords were Thomas Green (1793), Robert Worsley (1818), John Hyde (1824), Bannister Anderton (1835-39), Ann Fazackerley (1841), Isaac Fairclough (1851), Abraham Unsworth (1861-65), James Davenport (1871-76), John Redhead (1879-82), Peter Hilton (1889-91), William Smith (1901), Alice Hilton (1911), Richard James Bamber (1936), Joe & Molly Smith (1964) and Reece Kilcoyne (2015).
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 04 September 1841|
|Preston Chronicle 07 July 1849|
|Bolton Chronicle 26 October 1850|
|Bolton Chronicle 21 October 1854|
|Preston Chronicle 15 May 1858|
|Preston Chronicle 24 August 1867|
|Chorley Guardian 06 July 1872|
|Chorley Guardian 01 November 1873|
|Chorley Standard and District Advertiser 05 June 1880|
|Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 03 October 1887|
|Blackburn Standard 18 November 1893|
|Lancashire Evening Post 14 May 1935|
In 2015 the Joiner's Arms changed its name once more to the "Lamp Lighter".
|Joiners and D'owd Inn 2017|