Address: 178, Lee Lane, Horwich
The bowling green behind the pub was a popular attraction for many years and it was only in the second half of the 20th century that it finally gave way to development in the form of Rivington House, an assisted living residential property.
Listed landlords were Joseph Beddows (1851), John Harrison (1861-90), Ellen Harrison (1891-93), Ellen Anay Harrison (1893-34) and Nicola Ann Monks (2012).
|1851 Census Joseph Beddows|
The earliest landlord was Joseph Beddows, a brewer by trade and as the 1851 census above records he and his family, including his nephew Andrew Beddows who was working for Joseph as a brewer's labourer were living on Lee Lane at the Chorley Tavern.
|1861 Census Andrew Beddows Brewer|
Ten years later the business was more firmly established with John Harrison running the Inn, now know as the Bowling Green Inn and Andrew Beddows, the brewer was living next door.
|1861 Census John Harrison Beerseller|
Things remained the same for the next ten years or so and the Harrison family continued to run the business.
|1869 Slater's Directory|
|1871 Census John Harrison|
|1881 Census John Harrison|
Following John Harrison's death in 1890 after 30 years running the tavern his widow Ellen was to take over only to die herself in 1893, which left their daughter Ellen Anay Harrison in sole charge behind the bar, where she remained for the next forty years, making her the longest standing landlord at the Bowling Green.
|1891 Census Ellen Harrison|
|1893 Probate Ellen Harrison|
|1905 Kelly's Directory|
|1911 Census Summary|
There is a strange anomaly on the 1911 Census where Ellen Anay Harrison was still running the Bowling Green at 175 Lee Lane but the actual enumerator records records a Mr J S Harrison for E A Harrison at 181 Withington Lane, New Springs, Wigan. This was the home address of Ellen's brother, Robert Harrison, who by this stage was running the Top Lock public house in New Springs.
|1911 Census Ellen Anay Harrison|
Popular pub the Bowling Green, Horwich, added to Campaign For Real Ale’s (CAMRA) list of historic drinking places. A popular pub has been added to the Campaign For Real Ale’s (CAMRA) list of historic drinking places. The Bowling Green in Horwich was placed on the prestigious list for its “historic pub interior”, which is described on CAMRA’s website as having “some regional importance”. The pub in Lee Lane was thought to have long catered for local bowlers, particularly towards the end of the Victorian era.
For more go to camra.org.uk.