Address: Miles Lane (previously Broad o' th' Lane), Shevington
The 17th century Victoria Bowling Green Inn is one of Shevington's oldest buildings and whilst no longer trading under that name is still a licensed premises and is the home of the Conservative Club. First reference to the Inn I have found is on the 1851 census when a Thomas Bullen was shown as a "beer seller and colliery lab"; at that time the Inn is referred to as "Bullen's Beer House".
The Inn is not immediate obvious on the 1845 map below but is the property below the bench mark (B.M. 196-1) and was either the Highfield House farm house or one of the farm labourer's cottages.
Listed landlords at the Inn were Thomas Bullen (1851), Thomas Park (1861), Alice Hilton (1871), Peter Richardson (1876), Nicholas Hailwood (1881), Peter Cross (1888), Samuel Brooks (1891), William Ellison (1901) and William Gore (1905-11).
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 13 October 1876|
|Preston Chronicle 18 February 1882|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 17 March 1888|
|1905 Kelly's Directory|
|1911 Census Summary|
This following excerpt from "A Shevington Boyhood" by Maurice Allen makes reference to the Inn in the early 1900s.
"The social life of Shevington at the turn of the century was no doubt, centred on the three alehouses in the village, the 'Plough and Harrow' in Broad o'th' Dane, the 'Victoria Inn' in Miles Lane, and the 'George and Dragon' in Gathurst Lane. You could apparently get a drink at almost any time from 6.00 a.m. each day. The Victoria and the George and Dragon each had a bowling green which would help to pass the summer evenings away pleasantly, Dominoes and a Ring Board, and Shove Ha’penny the winter evenings. The ladies’ evenings were spent, if they were not patching or darning, either knitting, crocheting or doing embroidery."
Full details of this article can be found on the following link: - Shevington Boyhood
|Lancashire Evening Post 10 February 1920|
|Lancashire Evening Post 02 June 1920|