Address: Market Place, Standish
The Eagle and Child or Spread Eagle as it was also referred was one of Standish's oldest Inns, located next door to the Black Bull on Market Place facing St Wilfrid's Parish church. It's said to date back to the 1600's and is mentioned in the following excerpt from the Standish Conservation Area Appraisal of 2006.
Two fairs were recorded in 1779; one on St.Peter’s Day, Jun.29th and the other on St.Cecilia’s Day, Nov.29th, the latter being for horses, horned cattle and toys. Porteus believes this fair was probably founded by Cecilia daughter of Ralph Standish (d. 1756) who married William Towneley and who held Standish manor until 1778. (The 1763 map, opposite, is a plan of the estate belonging to Mrs.Towneley). Porteus comments that the market place was mentioned in 1792 where tradition recalled that a butter market was once held. Standish Manorial Court continued to function until well into the 18thC.The courthouse was located to the rear of the Eagle and Child Inn, Market Place.
First reference to the Inn was on the 1824 Directory when a John Dauber (Dawber) was recorded as the landlord (bottom left on the above image).
Listed landlords after John Dawber were Miles Sumner (1841), Samuel Smith (1851), George Atherton (1861-71), John Hunt (1881), George Henry Harmer (1891-1901) and Matthias Speakman (1911).
|Lancaster Gazette 29 March 1834 Insolvent Debtors Court|
|Preston Chronicle 13 October 1855|
|Bolton Chronicle 02 February 1856|
|Preston Herald 09 May 1863|
|Preston Herald 08 October 1864|
|Preston Chronicle 06 August 1864|
|Preston Herald 13 May 1865|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 11 May 1866|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 22 February 1868|
|Preston Herald 28 March 1868|
|Preston Chronicle 03 April 1869|
|Preston Chronicle 16 October 1869|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 02 February 1872|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 30 March 1872|
|Chorley Guardian 01 March 1873|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 28 March 1874|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 21 March 1879|
|Preston Herald 06 June 1885|
|Preston Herald 01 September 1886|
|Preston Herald 07 March 1891|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 01 April 1893|
|Liverpool Mercury 29 September 1894|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 25 December 1903|
The Inn was to fall to the Licensing Act and was referred for compensation and its licence revoked in 1916. It may have opened again after that time but it closed its doors for business a long time ago and other than the small black metal sign on the wall many people would never know its history. Pictured below, the Eagle and Child Inn is now a residential property.