Name: The Withy Trees Hotel
Address: Station Road, Bamber Bridge
Whilst this was not the Original Withy Trees, the Withy Trees Hotel, which is now known as the Withy Arms has been around since the early 1800s. More recently is was called the Top House and prior to that 'Shifty O'Shea's', an Irish theme bar and prior to that it was the Withy Trees. Positioned on the corner of Brownedge Lane and Station Road the original building pictured above is no longer standing having been demolished to make way for the Withy Arms. It held a prominent position on Station Road in the town opposite the Council Offices.
Listed landlords were Henry Worthington (1841), George Worden (1851-67), Isaac Carter (1871-84), James Parkinson (1891), Sarah Parkinson (1901) and Samuel Stokes (1911-17).
|1854 Mannex Directory - George Worden|
|1855 Post Office Directory - New Withy Trees, George Worden|
|Council Offices on the opposite corner of the junction at Brownedge Lane|
During the early 1860s landlord George Worden upped sticks and relocated to Chester at the Durham Ox, where he remained until his death in 1867.
|1867 Probate for George Worden|
|The Durham Ox (Chester)|
|Photo courtesy of Gordon Small|
|1917 Barratt's Directory|