Address: 15, Midge Hall Lane, Leyland
The Railway Hotel at Midge Hall was opened shorty after the new railway station was built there in the mid-1800s a clear opportunity presenting itself to make a good living from the passing trade.
|Midge Hall Railway Station courtesy of Leyland Historical Society|
|1909 Map of Midge Hall Area|
Listed landlords were John Bennett (1870-73), Henry Bimson (1881-1900), John Bennett Jnr. (1901), Thomas Duckworth (1911-17) and Mr Bannister (1920).
The 1861 census record below shows the residents of Midge Hall and there is no trace of the hotel or even a beer house at that time.
Marriage: 24 Sep 1868 St Andrew, Leyland, Lancs.
James Bennett - full age, Inn Keeper, Widower, Leyland
Martha Dodgson - full age, Spinster, Leyland
Groom's Father: John Bennett, Farmer
Bride's Father: Thomas Dodgson, Blacksmith
Witness: John Bennett; Betty Thornley
Married by Licence by: Kinton Jacques Curate
Register: Marriages 1856 - 1875, Page 175, Entry 349
Source: Original register held at Lancashire Archives
James Bennett was the landlord at the Ship Inn on Towngate in the 1860s and witness at his wedding was his younger brother John who was the landlord at the Railway Hotel. They were brought up in Leyland on the farm of their parents John and Susanna Bennett.
CHORLEY LICENSING SESSIONS.
Thomas Smith, the Queen’s Hotel, Leyland, applied through Mr. Beddows was granted —John Bennett, of the Railway Hotel, Midge Hall, Leyland, supported by Mr. Belston also applied for spirit license.
10 September 1870 - Wigan Observer and District Advertiser
Baptism: 16 Nov 1873 St James, Leyland, Lancashire, England
Thomas Bennett - [Child] of John Bennett & Elizabeth
Abode: Midge Hall
Occupation: Inn Keeper
Baptised by: O. Fynes - Clinton
Register: Baptisms 1855 - 1900, Page 50, Entry 394
Source: LDS Film 1526058
|1917 Barrett's Directory|
General Wanted; good character preferred
— Mr. Bannister. Railway Hotel, Midge Hall, Leyland.
17 February 1920 - Lancashire Evening Post
In the latter part of the 20th century the hotel changed its name to Midge Hall after the closure of the station in 1961.