Real Ale

Real Ale

Penwortham - Plough Inn

Name: The Plough Inn

Address: 97, Pope Lane, Penwortham



Plough Inn in 1954 Courtesy of Pam Balloch Preston Past and Present
The Plough Inn probably dates back to the 1830/40s, although the original building (pictured above) almost certainly pre-dated that and was located in the area known as Pope Lane End, at the junction of Cop Lane. At this time it was a rural area predominantly given over to farming, not like today. It was within a stone's throw of the Black Bull with just the Smithy (Blacksmith's Shop) and Cottage between them; both beerhouses' names reflect the local farming communities. 

Early records suggest the Smithy and Beerhouse were part of the same business and on census records the pub is the next residential property along from Brown's Row and the Black Bull Inn. As recorded below the Plough was very much the domain of local Blacksmiths on Pope Lane, many of whom ran the Inn for periods during the mid-late 1800s.

The building was clearly in existence at the time of the 1844 map below just around the bend from the Smithy.


1844 Map
Resident in 1841 was William Wareing, a weaver. Whether he also ran a beerhouse as a secondary source of income remains unclear but this was often the case around this time in order to make ends meet and was particularly so following the Beerhouse Act of 1830, which liberalised the regulations enabling anyone to brew and sell beer on payment of a licence costing two guineas. The intention was to increase competition between brewers, and it resulted in the opening of 56,000 beer houses across the country by 1836; the rapidly expanding industrial centres of the North of England saw their fair share, of which Preston was one.


1841 William Wareing - Weaver
Nicholas Knowles was the landlord of the Black Bull from the 1830s onwards and was recorded as a "shopkeeper" in the census above with William clearly shown at Pope Lane End.

Listed landlords at the Plough were William Wareing (1841), William Mossman (1851), Hannah Breakell (1861-67), John Ashcroft (1868-71), Henry Ryding (1881), Adam Hatch (1891), Henry Snape (1892-), John Thompson (1901-05), Robert Rigbye (1907), Hugh Doherty (1911), Joseph Smith (1915-21), Joseph Bibby (1924-27), Hannah Bibby (1927-48) and William Wareing (1957-61).

Sometime in the 1840s William Mossman and his children moved to the Plough Inn having run the Fleece Inn on Liverpool Road for the preceding decade. William's wife Elizabeth died in 1845 so it was probably after this that William downsized from the busy Fleece Inn on the main thoroughfare to the Plough. 


Burial: 17 May 1845 St Mary, Penwortham, Lancashire, England
Betty Mossman - Age: 67 yrs
Abode: Penwortham
Buried by: R A Rawstorne Incumbent
Register: Burials 1841 - 1855 from the Bishop's Transcripts, Page 22, Entry 176
Source: LDS Film 1502458


1851 Census William Mossman
The Mossmans were from Scotland and moved to Penwortham sometime in the early 1820s before the birth of their daughter Elizabeth. William was to die in 1851 shortly after the census.


1851 Burial - William Mossman


c.1917 Plough from Andrew Livesey's FB Post on Preston Past and Present
Following William's death it's unclear who ran the business in the 1850s but by 1861 a 23 year old single lass by the name of Hannah Breakell was behind the bar, living at the property with her younger brother Richard. They had been brought up in nearby Walton-le-Dale; their parents were farmers and whilst not in the trade I suspect she was related to both Hugh and Richard Breakell who were running the Farrington Arms on Liverpool Road and Blue Anchor, Hutton respectively around this time.


1861 Census Hannah Breakell
Hannah married William Thornley in 1867 and they moved to Preston where William worked as a Furniture Dealer. By the following year the Plough had a new landlord, John Ashcroft who originated from nearby Much/Little Hoole.

The 1861 census excerpt below shows that John Ashcroft and Henry Ryding were living and working on Pope Lane as Blacksmith and Wheelwright serving the local farming community and were to both run the Plough over the next couple of decades.



1861 Census on Pope Lane - along from the Plough Inn
PRESTON POLICE INTELLIGENCE THEFT OF SHOES
A man named Charles Gardner was charged with stealing a pair of shoes, belonging to John Ashcroft, Plough Inn, Penwortham - the prisoner was committed for trial. Monday -before the Mayor and A. Leigh, Esq.
19 December 1868 - Preston Chronicle - Preston, Lancashire, England

1871 Census John Ashcroft
The census confirms John was a Blacksmith and living at the Plough Inn in 1871.

1881 Census Henry Ryding
Henry and Margaret Ryding took over the Inn sometime in the 1870s although his main trade was as a Blacksmith and 10 years later they were still running the Smithy but another Blacksmith, Adam Hatch had moved into the Plough.
1891 Census Adam Hatch
1891 Burial record for Henry Ryding
TO BE LET
PLOUGH INN, Penwortham together with Smithy and Cottage 
Preston Brewery Company, Croft Street, Preston
04 April 1891 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England


The Preston Brewery Company was originally called Peter Howard & Co (1870-80s) based at the Preston Brewery on the corner of Lodge Street and Croft Street. In 1888 Howard Bros partnership dissolved and by 1894 the Preston Brewery Co Ltd was up for auction.

Preston Brewery Co Building put to alternative use in later years
c.1907 - Plough from Andrew Livesey's FB Post in Preston Past and Present
Landlord above the door recorded as Robert Rigbye
LEYLAND LICENSING SESSIONS.
...with the permission of the Bench he would withdraw his objection to the renewal of the license held Hy. Snape, Plough Inn, Penwortham, as the ground of the objection had been removed. Permission was granted. All the licenses were renewed.
29 August 1892 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England


1892 Map
1901 Census John Thompson
1905 Kelly's Directory
WANTED, GIRL, about 18
Apply. Mrs. Rigby Plough Inn, Penwortham.
26 July 1907 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England


1909 Map


1911 Census Summary for Pope Lane
1911 Census Hugh Doherty
INTERESTING HIRE-PURCHASE
Messrs. Crane and Sons, Ltd., brought an action in the Preston County Court on' Tuesday
against Joseph A. Smith, the Plough Inn, Penwortham, for the return of piano. Mr. Herbert Davies was for the plaintiffs, and. Mr. Ambler for the defendant.
13 January 1915 - Preston Herald - Preston, Lancashire, England


1917 Directory
DEATH ANNOUNCEMENTS
On the 1st inst. the Plough Inn. Penwortham.
JOSEPH SMITH - All inquiries mode to Mr. W. Ryding, Funeral Director, Cop-lane.
02 March 1921 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England


1924 Kelly's Directory
1927 Probate for Joseph Bibby
1939 Register Hannah Bibby
1938 Map
1948 Probate Hannah Bibby
NEW HOTEL FOR PENWORTHAM
 NEW hotel, replacing the 100-year-old Plough Inn, Pope Lane, Penwortham is to be built on adjoining land. At the adjourned Leyland Licensing Sessions, to-day, a publican's licence was provisionally granted to Mr. William Waring
06 March 1957 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England


The "new" Plough Inn courtesy of WhatPub
Intended to Park
 Not Seen Road Sign Fines were Imposed at Heywood Magistrates Court last week on William Waring of the Plough Inn, Penwortham who pleaded guilty by letter to failing to conform to "Halt" and 'Keep Left" signs.
06 January 1961 - Heywood Advertiser - Heywood, Lancashire, England


As the area around Pope Lane was developed for residential purposes during the latter half of the 20th century and as the social landscape changed the viability of two pubs within a stone's throw of one another lessened.

Google Satellite View 2020 showing extent of residential development
In 2007 the Plough Inn was finally closed following complaints of noise/disorder and was later converted into an Indian restaurant, which remained in business until May 2019.

No comments:

Post a comment