Address: 7, Church Street, Standish
The Black Horse has been a going concern in the centre of Standish adjacent to St Wilfrid's church on Church Street since the early 1800's. More widely known as the Lychgate Tavern these days, the Inn has spent most of its existence as the Black Horse. First reference I can find to the Inn is in the 1824 Standish Directory below when William Grafton was the landlord.
Listed landlords at the Black Horse were William Grafton (1824-28), Thomas Bulman (1834-45), Henry Banks (1848), James Fisher (1851-54), Thomas Hatton (1861-71), Peter Schofield (1868-67), Robert Atherton (1872), Thomas Halton (1873), William Crankshaw (1881), John Asbrey (1891-1905) and George William Mather (1911-24).
Landlord Thomas Bulman died in January 1845 at the age of 42 years and was buried at St Wilfrid's. After Thomas's death the Black Horse was run by Henry Banks for a few years before he moved on to the Black Bull and James Fisher took over behind the bar.
|1848 Pigot's Directory|
|1854 Mannex Directory|
|The original sign of the Black Horse can be seen beneath the makeshift |
Lychgate Tavern sign shortly after it reopened.
|Preston Chronicle 19 November 1859|
|Preston Chronicle 09 June 1860|
|Leeds Mercury 19 November 1861|
|Preston Chronicle 29 May 1861|
|Bolton Chronicle 25 July 1863|
|Preston Chronicle 09 April 1864|
|Preston Chronicle 18 February 1865|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 13 July 1867|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 18 October 1867|
|Preston Chronicle 29 August 1868|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 05 September 1868|
|Preston Chronicle 10 September 1870|
|Leigh Chronicle and Weekly District Advertiser 05 August 1871|
|Chorley Guardian 06 April 1872|
|Chorley Guardian 17 May 1873|
|Preston Chronicle 24 May 1873|
|Blackburn Standard 19 February 1876|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 03 October 1879|
|Preston Chronicle 11 October 1879|
|Preston Chronicle 16 September 1882|
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 11 November 1885|
|The Black Horse closed prior to refurbishment and |
rebranding as the Lychgate Tavern
|Lancashire Evening Post 15 November 1888|
|Preston Herald 25 February 1891|
John Asbrey died shortly after the Kelly's directory was printed and the probate record below shows his "estate" went to his son William, who by this time had followed in his father's footsteps and was running the Oddfellow's Arms further up Church Street.
|Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 19 January 1907|