Real Ale

Real Ale

Walmer Bridge - Longton Arms

Name: The Longton Arms

Address: 2 Liverpool Old Road, Walmer Bridge




The Longton Arms is located to the north of Walmer Bridge on Liverpool Old Road and was originally somewhat isolated from the village. Situated next to the Blacksmith's on the main thoroughfare it provided a welcome break for travellers and their horses passing by on their way towards either Preston or Liverpool. Over the years the area has been developed, with new housing and businesses incorporating it into the village.

The Wilkins brothers, W & R Wilkins, owners of the malting down Marsh Lane in Longton, originally owned both pubs in the village, the Walmer Bridge Inn and the Longton Arms.


Listed landlords were Thomas Crook (1871), William Mayor (1881-91), William Albert (1901), Mary Albert (1905) and Robert Wilson (1911).


1871 Thomas Crook


1881 William Mayor


Marriage: 29 Sep 1888 St Andrew, Longton, Lancashire, England
John Webster - 29 Weaver Bachelor of Hoole
Elizabeth Mayor - 20 Spinster of Longton
    Groom's Father: Thomas Webster, Labourer
    Bride's Father: William Mayor, Inn Keeper
    Witness: John Park Mayor; Sarah Webster
    Married by Banns by: John Johnson Incumbent

William Mayor and his wife Mary ran the pub for about 20 years until William's death in 1898 at the age of 61 years. Their children were brought up there and they attended the local parish church of St Andrews.

Marriage: 10 Aug 1889 St Andrew, Longton, Lancashire, England
James Wilson - 19 Weaver Bachelor of Longton
Alice Mayor - 19 Spinster of Longton
    Groom's Father: James Wilson, Labourer
    Bride's Father: William Mayor, Innkeeper
    Witness: William Wilson; Alice Ann Wilson
    Married by Banns by: John Johnson Incumbent

1891 William Mayor

1909 Map

1901 William Albert


Kelly's Directory 1905

1911 Robert Wilson

1929 Map

No comments:

Post a comment