Address: 157, Station Road, Bamber Bridge
First reference I can find to the Original Withy Trees is on the 1834 Directory below when Richard Fairclough was the landlord. Prior to being a public house it was Withy Trees Farm and the original building dates back to several hundred years. This whole area of Bamber Bridge was referred to as "Withy Trees" and various properties lying within it took the name e.g. Withy Trees Cotton Mill, Withy Trees Cottages, Withy Trees Mill Cottages and of course, the New Withy Trees Public House on the corner of Station Road and Brownedge Lane, now known as the Withy Arms.
|1834 Pigot's Directory - Richard Fairclough|
Listed landlords at the Inn were Richard Fairclough (1834), William Worsley (1841), William Snailham (1846), Thomas Kenyon (1848-61), Alfred Syms (1866-67), James Wilcock (1869-), Alice Wilcock (1871-81), Thomas Kenyon Jnr (1891-1912) and Margaret Winders (1917).
|1841 Census William Worsley|
The following press article below from 1842 records the existence of a Greyhound Inn in Bamber Bridge. This is confirmed as being the Old Withy Trees when the landlord Thomas Kenyon died in 1861 (see lower down the page for further details).
A MATCH at PIGEONS will come off at the Greyhound Inn, Bamber Bridge, on Wednesday next, the 19th day of October, 1842. The match to consist of 10 members, 5s. each, five birds each. Distance 21 yards, Boundary 80 yards, charge of shot limited to one and a half oz. Shooting to commence at one o clock. Any persons desirous of entering for the above Sweepstakes, are requested to send in their names as soon as possible.
Preston Chronicle 15th October 1842
|Ye Olde Original Withy Arms courtesy of Gordon Small|
|1846 Slater's Directory - William Snailham|
Advertisements & Notices
TO BE LET BY PROPOSAL all that well-accustomed PUBLIC-HOUSE known by the sign of the "Original Withy Trees," at Bamber Bridge, in Walton-le-dale, in the county of Lancaster, with the Outbuildings, and Ten Acres of Meadow and Pasture.
02 September 1848 - Preston Chronicle - Preston, Lancashire, England
|1854 Mannex Directory|
|1855 Slater's Directory - Thomas Kenyon|
|1861 Burial at St Saviours Thomas Kenyon|
The press article below from the Blackburn Standard announcing notable local deaths provides evidence that the Inn was, at least for a period of time in the 1860s known as the Greyhound Inn.
On the Ist instant, Mr. Thomas Kenyon, of the Greyhound Inn, Withy Trees, Bamber Bridge, formerly of the Old Oak Lv, Longridge, aged 46 years.
12 June 1861 - Blackburn Standard - Blackburn, Lancashire, England
|1861 Probate record for Thomas Kenyon|
Marriage: 12 Dec 1867 St Saviour, Bamber Bridge, Lancashire, England
Thomas Sharpe - 25 Mill Wright Bachelor of Walton-le-Dale
Jane Kenyon - 22 Spinster of Bamber Bridge
Groom's Father: Thomas Sharpe, Mill Wright
Bride's Father: Thomas Kenyon, Publican
Witness: John Sharpe; Elizabeth Sharpe
Married by Licence by: William Webb Curate
Register: Marriages 1839 - 1887, Page 97, Entry 194
Source: LDS Film No 1471151
Advertisements & Notices
A PIGEON SHOOT FOR A LARGE FAT PIG on Monday the 7th day of January 1867, at Alfred Syms's, The Original Withy Trees Inn, Bamber Bridge, three miles from Preston, and about five minutes' walk from Bamber Bridge Station. Conditions : 22 members
05 January 1867 - Preston Chronicle - Preston, Lancashire, England
|1869 Slater's Directory - Jas Wilcock|
|1872 Marriage record for Thomas Kenyon Jnr|
JOHN CRITCHLEY Will Sell by Auction, on Tuesay, December 22nd 1896, at 2 pm at Mr. Kenyon’s, The Old Original Withy Trees, Bamber Bridge, near Preston a large quantity of excellent and useful bound timber.
19 December 1896 - Preston Herald - Preston, Lancashire, England
The marriage record of Thomas's daughter Hannah Maria is recorded below at St Saviours in 1897.
Marriage: 23 Nov 1897 St Saviour, Bamber Bridge, Lancashire, England
William Calbraith - 25 Shop keeper Bachelor of Bamber Bridge
Hannah Maria Kenyon - 22 Spinster of Bamber Bridge
Groom's Father: Joseph Calbraith, Shop Keeper (deceased)
Bride's Father: Thomas Kenyon, Inn keeper
Witness: Richard Kenyon; Emma Calbraith
Married by Banns by: James Taylor Vicar
Notes: [Name and occupation of groom and bride's fathers are reversed in the register]
Register: Marriages 1887 - 1900, Page 112, Entry 223
Source: LDS Film 1471151
|1912 Probate for Thomas Kenyon Jnr|
|1917 Barratt's Directory - Margaret Winders|
TO Let, Original Withy Trees” Bamber Bridge (fully licensed), wild land attached. For particulars apply personally to J. B. Almond, The Brewery, Standish
10 July 1933 - Lancashire Evening Post - Preston, Lancashire, England
For more information on the J.B.Almond Brewery in Standish following the link below: -