Address: 44, Livesey Street, Chorley
|The Cordwainers c.1950s looking down Clifford Street to Chapel Street and St George's |
Church - Haydock's timber yard can be seen on the left.
The Cordwainers Arms was on Livesey Street, which sadly no longer exists having been demolished to make way for the Market Walk shopping precinct. On the corner at one end of the street was the Cordwainers and at the other end, at the junction with New Market Street was the Prince of Wales which still survives today. The buildings in the background were the saw-mills for PH Haydock & Co (also now demolished).
The Cordwainers first appeared on records in the 1870s and was also used more recently as Green's amusement arcade before being demolished as shown below: -
The listed landlord through census records were William Mellor (1871), John Charles Bannister (1881-91), Ann Gent (1901-11) and William Barker (1980).
|Cordwainers' Right of picture on the corner of Livesey Street|
|Chorley Guardian 1884|
|Looking from Chapel Street down Clifford Street. |
The Shepherds' Hall (right of picture) and the Cordwainers' (centre back)
|A view across Clifford Street from where the new bus station stands|
London Gazette 30 January 1980
BARKER, William, residing at 9 St. James's Street, Chorley in the county of Lancaster (Compositor) and BARKER,Esther, wife of William Barker of the same address (housewife) lately residing and carrying on business in partnership at The Cordwainers Arms, 44 Livesey Street, Chorley aforesaid as PUBLICANS.
(SEPARATE ESTATE OF ESTHER BARKER.) Court—PRESTON. No. of Matter — 35 of 1974.