Real Ale

Real Ale

Standish - Royal Oak

Name: The Royal Oak

Address: 56 Wigan Lower Road, Standish Lower Ground



The Royal Oak started life in the 1850's and was no doubt patronised by the many businesses close by including the Bone Works on Crook Road, the local colliery and the Brick & Pottery Works to name a few.

Bolton Chronicle 26 April 1856

The Oak was very much the home of the Ball family and census and directory records throughout the 19th century and early 20th century all record them running the pub. Listed landlords therefore were Henry Ball (1856-80s), his son Edward Ball (1880s-1911) and Charles Higham (1924).


1907 Map of Standish Lower Ground

Preston Chronicle 09 April 1859

Henry Ball was a local man, born in Orrell and he and his wife Mary brought up their seven children at the Inn.  Edward, the eldest son was to take over after his father's retirement sometime in the 1880's having previously trained and worked as an engine fitter. 

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 24 August 1860

1861 Census

Preston Chronicle 18 January 1862

Glossop Record 27 December 1862

When Henry's daughter Ann married in 1867 the record confirms his occupation and their residence in Crooke.



Preston Chronicle 12 December 1863

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 10 June 1865

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 31 January 1868

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 18 July 1868

1869 Slater's Directory

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 15 January 1870

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 21 October 1870

1871 Census


Marriage: 31 Dec 1872 St Wilfrid, Standish, Lancs.
Edward Ball - Engineer Bachelor of Standish 
Margaret Fielding - (X), Spinster of Standish 
    Groom's Father: Henry Ball, Innkeeper
    Bride's Father: John Fielding, Collier
    Witness: John Alker; Catherine Ball
    Married by Banns by: T. J. Bensted Curate
    Notes: both full age
    Register: Marriages 1859 - 1880, Page 155, Entry 310
    Source: LDS Film 1526141

1881 Census

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 01 September 1883

Preston Chronicle 12 January 1889

1891 Census

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 07 December 1894


At the time of Henry Ball's death in 1894 his probate confirms Edward as an innkeeper and also mentions a John Alker, who was Henry's son-in-law, having married eldest daughter Ann at St Wilfrid's in Standish in 1867. John and Ann Alker ran he Woodhouses Inn further up the road on Woodhouses Lane.

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 16 February 1895


Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 06 July 1895

1894 Map

Shepton Mallet Journal 08 October 1897

1901 Census

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 23 August 1902

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 22 June 1907

1911 Census

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 26 May 1917

1924 Kelly's Directory



Following renovation in 2015 the Royal Oak has now been converted into four residential flats.


No comments:

Post a Comment