Real Ale

Real Ale

Standish - St. Patrick's Inn

Name: St Patrick's Inn

Address: Moore's Lane junction Preston Road, Standish



The St Patrick's Inn opened sometime in the 1850's, situated on the corner of Moore's Lane (originally called Moses Lane) and Preston Road a short distance down the road from the Shamrock.

1892 Map
Listed landlords at the Inn were John Wilson (1861-), Ellen Wilson (1881), John Fisher (1889), Elizabeth Ryder (1891) and John Danson (1890s-1931).

1861 Census


Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 05 February 1864


Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 17 April 1869

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 12 February 1870

1871 Census

1881 Census

Norfolk Chronicle 31 August 1889

1891 Census


John Danson took over the pub in the 1890's having been brought up in the Black Horse aka Waggon & Horses on Almond Brook when it was run by his parents James and Elizabeth. 

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 22 April 1899

1901 Census

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 10 February 1905

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 29 July 1905

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 25 November 1905

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser 13 August 1907

1911 Census

Lancashire Evening Post 04 March 1926

Lancashire Evening Post 30 April 1926

Lancashire Evening Post 15 December 1931


The Inn has been closed for business for many years now but more recently has been run as the Chinese Delight Restaurant, but that too closed down and over recent years the property has started to become an eyesore on the road into Standish from the North. 

Recent debate has been going on around the site and proposed plans to demolish the building and build new housing.



The Inn was finally demolished in January 2019 and the site awaits redevelopment.


1 comment:

  1. After closing as a pub, it became St. Marie's parish Catholic club in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete